Legal Articles

September 18, 2018

Notice to give notice

How many times have you read the terms and conditions before ticking the box that binds you to them? Now taking it one step further, did […]
September 11, 2018

The Chairperson of a Disciplinary Hearing and his/her role?

One of the key players in a disciplinary hearing is the chairperson, who is not only responsible for keeping the hearing in good order and conducting […]
September 4, 2018


The latest phenomenon in the Retail Motor Industry, especially in the Kwa-Zulu Natal region is to tools down/withholding services, better known as industrial action (hereinafter referred […]
August 28, 2018

Swearing like a Trooper!!!

Swearing like a Trooper!!!   Keep your tongue! The Motor Industry is a very robust environment and, contrary to popular believe, swearing and vulgar language is […]
August 21, 2018

Know your rights, when signing an Acknowledgement of Debt (AOD)

When the employer requires you to sign an Acknowledgement of Debt for damages to the company (for example, damages to property, loss of monies, etc) they […]
August 14, 2018

Is an employee entitled to representation at a disciplinary hearing?

Is an employee entitled to representation at a disciplinary hearing?   Schedule 8 of the Labour Relations Act 66 of 1995 [LRA] provides that an employee […]
August 8, 2018

My employer has changed my commission structure. Is this allowed?

According to clause 3.11 of the MIBCO Main Collective Agreement, herewith the following on Commission Work:   The basis on which the commission that an employer […]
July 30, 2018

What am I entitled to when I resign?

Working within the labour industry I’ve been asked this question on several occasions: “I have resigned.  What am I entitled to?”   My question in response […]
July 24, 2018

My 21-year-old child is ill – can I take Family Responsibility Leave?

Clause 5.4 (1) of the MIBCO Main Collective Agreement states you can take Family Responsibility Leave in the following instances: “An employer shall, upon request, grant […]